Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Elements Bistro





My hubby and I are off from work this week and had the opportunity to try a new spot in the Elmwood section of West Hartford for lunch. The spot is as ecletic and modern as they come and is called Elements Bistro. For a Tuesday afternoon it was rather busy but we were seated quickly. The decor was modern yet inviting with a clean brown and blue palette.

To eat, I ordered the red chili and their signature Elemental Salad (they also have a vegan chili on the menu called green chili). The salad comes in a small and large portion size. I opted for the small and was not disappointed. You could taste the fresh cilantro which tempered the spicy ancho vinaigrette which is a signature dressing of the bistro's. Also in the mix was crisp jicama, grape tomatoes, thinly sliced poblano & red peppers and the delicately fried goat cheese ball. It was refreshing and I imagine the large would be quite filling as a meal of it's own.

The chili was made with sausage and shredded beef which was fork tender and made for a nice consistency to the dish on a rather chilly Connecticut day. It was topped with shredded cheese, scallions and tres (three) tortilla chips. Only peeve is I would have delighted in more tortilla chips on the side to eat with the spicy chili....next time I'll be sure to ask.

My husband opted for the simple burger (who'd a thought :) with cheddar cheese. It came with a healthy portion of fries and a slaw of sorts on the side which he piled atop his burger.

The service was average. Our waitress was pleasant but not overly attentive. It was during Christmas week craziness so we'll cut some slack.

Overall I was satisfied with the food and the vibe. Greatest part is how affordable it was. For the two of us we spent under $20 for a tasty and satisfying lunch, a great save in this economy!

Our plan is to come back for dinner as the entree menu appears to be extensive and imaginative. I can't say if it is intentional but I definitely feel there is a southwest flair throughout their menu choices which definitely helps add some spice and versatility to Elmwood's budding restaurant scene.

Overall Score - 4 out of 5


Definitely one for you to taste n see!

http://www.elements-bistro.com
1128 New Britain Ave
West Hartford, CT 06110
Phone: (860) 233-8125

No comments: